Sunday, August 9, 2015

Gigs on August 8

I had two gigs on August 8, 2015.  The first was at noon with the NCUHS Jazz Band.  My car was completely full of equipment, but when I arrived I found out that we didn't need most of it.  That was a hassle, but ok.  The sound guys finished setting up and we took over.  The stage was more crowded than this group is used to, and we didn't have enough stands (my fault for not telling the people absent from rehearsal; not my fault for the one who forgot).  I read music over Johna's shoulder.  In addition to her, we had Saige, Braxton, Cody, Rachel, Desiree, Olivia, Brianna, Julianna, Joe, Jon, Ely, and Chandler.  No trumpets!

  • I Saw Her Standing Ther
  • Piano Man
  • All About the Blues
  • Skyfall
  • Sticks*
  • American Patrol*
  • Fever
  • Tequila
*Time permitting

We had plenty of time to play everything.  Johna was sight-reading Sticks and American Patrol, and was missing a page from Tequila!  I think it went well though.  The sound guy in charge said another jazz band played the previous day, but we KILLED it!

Earlier in the day we went to a Bernard Purdie clinic.  I learned some things by seeing him play - he kept his left foot with the beat, even when not playing the hi-hat, and he kept his ride near his hi-hat so he could use them both easily with his right hand.

After the Jazz Band gig I rushed off to a family reunion, then rushed off to a wedding reception in Coventry.  Big Whiskey Social Club was partly set up before I got there, and I set up after eating.  It was in a big garage, and was a good crowd to play for.  Same set list we've been using.  I was going to write down the problem spots, but I don't remember much.  I know I came in on one tune with an A instead of an E because I'd just switched basses - not a mistake I'd make unless I was tired.  Gimme Two Steps was interesting - Stu didn't remember who sang it so he and John both ended up singing the first verse.  Overall we played really well.

No comments: