Monday, March 30, 2015

NCUHS Spring Concert

Well, I think it went alright.  People say it was the best ever, but I've heard that before.  As I think about it, the band really did do quite well.


  • GRAND SERENADE for an AWFUL LOT OF WINDS & PERCUSSION was written by Peter Shickele as PDQ Bach.  Comedy piece.  I ran out to conduct after the band started without me.  As I started conducted, a weird little soli would happen.  So I pretended to be confused, and turned pages,etc.  It went over pretty well.  In the 2nd mvt a few odd things happend - the french horns didn't play a note, and it was only supposed to be them but the clarinets came in anyhow.  Whew.  Also, the piccolos cam in two measures early, but EVERYONE in the band adjusted with me.  The 3rd movement was the best we'd played it, although a bit slow.  Couldn't really hear the trumpet fanfare that's stuck in towards the end.  Splash cymbal didn't get played; he used the big crash instead ("I couldn't find it!")  The percussion nailed the ending, and that was a big relief.  I think the audience got the joke, too.
  • JIHAD BIS SAIF - Saige's piece.  Maybe a little weak start.  Sounded very strong overall, with dynamics that were good (could've done a bit more).  A bit slower than I wanted to go.
  • SERENADE FOR SOLO CLARINET, featured Maggie on clarinet.  VERY well done all-around.  I got lost in one part, though.  My mind wandered a bit and I thought SHE was lost.... Being lost then meant that I didn't cue the 3rd trombone or the horns.  I heard the horns come in and it helped me get back on track.
  •  METAMORPHOSIS - I didn't conduct.  It was all the Q.  The band played this piece REALLY well.  Dynamics were top-notch.  A few wrong notes here and there.
  • UNDERTOW - Didn't get a recording of this one, which is too bad since it was the best we'd played it.  I need to put some instructions on the recording device.  I included the rehearsal recording from the day before.  You hear the front row a bit too much, and the tenor starts to run away at one point, but it's still really good.

Here's the band portion of our Spring Concert. If you'd like the whole concert on a CD, they're available with a $10...
Posted by NCUHS Band on Monday, March 30, 2015

No comments: