Friday, March 20, 2015

Big Whiskey Social Club at Mona's "Fifty and Fabulous" Party

Big Whiskey Social Club was lucky enough to play at Mona's fiftieth birthday party at the Irasburg Town Hall on 3/14/15.  Overall, we played pretty well.  Our tempos were better than at Brewski's and our set was rounded out by Mona singing some tunes.  However, there was too much space between a lot of songs and as the last set went on we got tired - I'd conducted the jr high festival the night before.



SET ONE
Drink in my hand - Stu
Watermelon Crawl - Stu
Little less talk - Stu - It seems like this one started weird, like John started it instead of Stu.
Cocaine Blues - Stu
I hold on - John
Sweet Home Alabama - Andre

Possibly at this spot in the set Mona joined us.  She started with Landslide, which was just her and John.  Then we played Melissa Etheridge's "Come to my Window."  I read Mona's music.  I think we followed that with Rhiannon.  Mona asked if I was going to sing backup on it and I responded with "Hell, no!"  Even if I could hit the right note, the bass part would have kept me from doing it.  Her last one at this point was Summer of 69.  She read my music, but it was printed so small!
 
Born on a Bayou - Stu
Get rhythm - Stu - I think we skipped this one again.
Big Green Tractor - Stu
Friday night - Andre
God bless Texas - Stu


SET TWO - There was great energy in the room when we played this one.
Kickit in the Sticks - John
Neon light - Andre
Cruise - John - People loved it.
achy breaky heart - St
Something about a truck - Stu
Country Girl - John
Folsom Prison - Stu
Can't You See? - Stu
How I got to be this way- Bill - Much better with the stops and everything.  Still not sure I got the bridge, but Deb even admitted that I sounded ok.
Take a little ride - Stu
Wagon Wheel - Stu - We played this one too slow
My kind of night - Andre
Booze Cruise - Stu- Great one.


SET THREE
Parking Lot Party - Andre
Save a horse - John - people like this one
Homegrown Honey - Stu - much better tempo.  Got all the hits

Mona came up again, and we played Long Train Runnin' and Black Velvet.  Black Velvet was weird because I'm pretty sure we got some chords wrong.  Through all of her pieces, Mona sang with such confidence and strength, even if we weren't playing that way.

Aw naw - Bill - I would still like to hear myself better.  Pretty sure I started on the wrong note (still fit into the chord, but...)
Sweet Caroline - Stu - We switched keys back to Neil's key, but we were getting tired.  John & I kept disagreeing on chords.
5-1-5-0 - Stu
In the AM - John
Turn the Page - Stu - This went well.  I focused on hearing the vocals during John's solo.
Boys 'round here - Stu - Too slow
Red Solo Cup - Andre - This tune isn't going over very well anymore.
Family tradition - Stu
Honky Tonk Be-donk-e-donk - Stu
Copperhead Road - Stu
Ain't Worth the Whiskey

Mona asked us to do Wagon Wheel again.  She jumped up and sang harmonies.  During the tune, I lost power to the effects board.  I unplugged from it and went directly into the amp.

At this point we could have ended, but we played one more, and it was a good one:
Coming to your City - John

No comments: