Friday, July 24, 2015

Conducting the NCAVB

Last night I conducted the Newport City Area Volunteer Band.  I rehearsed with them on Monday, sight-reading the scores because Peter was sick.  He was hoping he felt better by Thursday and I planned on playing trumpet but he did not feel better, so I picked up the equipment and music and was able to study the music a little in the afternoon.


O CANADA / STAR SPANGLED BANNER
SABRE DANCE - Everyone repeated!  There was just a little blip when someone attempted to play.  It went really well, although the decrescendo at the end didn't really happen.  Dynamics don't really happen much with this group, I suppose.
SING FOR AMERICA
THE GENIUS OF PAUL SIMON (new) - This is a pretty big arrangement, and I was concerned about the different tempos but it went fine.  The flutist came in on the wrong beat at one point and the clarinet had tried to stay with me but most of the band followed her.  I ended up adding a beat - not sure if anyone noticed.  Maybe Saige.
SEMPER FIDELIS March
SHENANDOAH
THE SOUND OF MUSIC - Very big arrangement, over ten minutes long.  I listened to it on Youtube and that helped.  I think the trumpets started in 4/4 but it was in cut time, so we didn't  We skipped some measures to make it a bit shorter and almost got through unscathed,
THE SYNCOPATED CLOCK - I love this tune.  The "alarm" section was supposed to be with a triangle, but they hit the cymbal instead, which was fine I suppose.  We rushed the ending a bit, since it had started to rain.  As soon as we were done, the clouds opened up and dumped buckets of rain down, causing a little panic.  I calmly turned and announced to the few people still on the benches that we'd be ending!
SOMEWHERE OUT THERE
THE SLOOP ‘JOHN B’ 
Theme from SUPERMAN 
STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER March 

No comments: