Monday, January 22, 2024

AUDITIONS

 It's the season of auditions. The Advanced Rock Band and the Jazz Band both have openings!

ARB is looking for a guitarist.  There are like five kids interested. Hopefully one of them can handle it, but I'm not convinced.  Will they know their open chords?  Do they dare to solo?  Can they find notes to build power chords on?  The way the class is run, I think those are the most important things I need from them.

For Jazz Band I'm losing some senior leaders in the sax section, my entire trumpet section, and my drummer.  I think the drum position will be the most challenging to fill because no one has the experience.  I will have to choose music carefully next year so they're learning, they're challenged, and they feel good about the music.

It's always so hard to tell kids they aren't ready. I haven't done it too much really, since most kids have got in and the ones who haven't - it's obvious to everyone that they aren't ready. I need to have in writing what they need to work on. I'd like to develop a rubric like we use for All-State.  Not right now though!

No comments: