Sunday, March 8, 2015

ETA at the Legion





The Evansville Transit Authority played at the American Legion in Orleans on 3/7/2015.  Their regular bassist Chris couldn't do it, so I joined them for another substitute gig.  When Kyle's parents arrived, they had a hat for me:
Cowboy Hat!
The gig started right on time, at 7:00.  There wasn't really a set list, Travis just yelled out the tunes and we played them.  There were a few songs that I didn't have in my binder, and had never played before, but it was really ok.  I fell right into place with them, although sometimes I felt like I need to make sure I stayed with Travis a little better.  He's a great drummer, but I haven't played with him quite enough to completely lock in with him.  I think I noticed it when we played Folsom Prison Blues.  But overall I think we sounded really good.  Somebody in the audience (MG) offered us $100 to play "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog" so between the 2nd and 3rd sets we jotted it down and then played it for the first time ever.  I hope they add it to their list, although there was at least one chord that wasn't quite right.....but he still paid us $100!

During the 2nd set there was this really annoying guy who wanted us to play whatever song he could think of, including everything from Metallica to Garth Brooks.  He asked for two songs we'd already played.  Very drunk.  And he kept coming to me.  I was worried about him falling over on stuff.  He tried to request a song before Long Train Running was done.  I hope I didn't sound too annoyed.  Another woman came up and asked for a twostep or a waltz.  I think she'd asked Kyle for a waltz earlier and we'd played To Love Somebody.

Here's a list of what we might have played:

Already Gone
Amie
Bad Case of Loving You
Brown Eyed Girl
Fast As You
Feelin Alright/You Can't Always Get What You Want/Season of the Witch
Folsom/Cocaine Blues
Gimme Three Steps
Good Hearted Woman
Green River
Honky Tonk Women
Hurt So Good
Jenny (867-5309)
Johnny B Goode/Let It Roll
Keep Your Hands to Yourself
Little Sister/Get Back
Long Cool Woman
Long Train Running
Mustang Sally
Oh, Lonesome Me
Roadhouse Blues
Runaround Sue
Spooky
Stuck in the Middle
Sweet Home Alabama
The Break-Up Song
To Love Somebody
Up On Cripple Creek
Wagon Wheel
Wild Night 

There were a few others, too, that I need to add to their list:
Shout (Isley Bros, not Tears for Fears!)
Friends in Low Places
Mony Mony
Polk Salad Annie
Turn the Page

No comments: