Monday, July 28, 2014

ETA in IP

I subbed with Evansville Transit Authority last night (7/25/2014) at the Friday Night Live concert series in Island Pond.  This was possibly the biggest crowd I've ever played bass in front of.  Estimates were up to 800 people.
This was the 3rd time I've played with them as a sub (Adam wasn't there the last time - see the blog post.  Check out the blog post from June, 2013, also.)  Although I didn't have everything memorized, this was definitely the best I've played with them.  I did have a problem with my Fender, though, and I'm going to need to get that fixed.  It kept crackling.  I ended up playing the fretless a lot more than normal.  It proved problematic a few times, because of concentration as the night went on.

Set 1:

Cotton Fields A

Fast As You E

Workin Man A

Brown Eyed G  - started with Kyle playing the riff, and the middle was different than the recording.  Easier on me, although this song doesn't scare me anymore.  I'm not really sure why it ever did!

Good Hearted Woman D---E  - NAILED the modulation!

Liza / Midnight / Sally A  - this was the first time I'd ever played this medley.  It was good, I just had to pay attention.

Stuck in the Middle D

Stalemate*** A

Proud Mary D   - started this tune with my volume pedal down.  Ooops.

Long Cool Woman E   - not sure if they're playing chords the same as the recording, or if I was in the wrong place but I wasn't doing it the same.

Dumas Walker E

I’m Tore Down A

Little Sister/Get Back E   - lots of fun, although I'd rather have played it on the Fender.

Johnny B / Let It Roll A  - last time I started on the A, but I realized that the A chord goes by during the intro.  This time I got it right.

Set 2:

Keep Your Hands A

Hurt So Good A

Honky Tonk A

No One to Turn To*** Dm

Wagon / Already G - last time I missed the switch to Already Gone.  This time I was ready.

Gimme Three Steps D - It's interesting that when I do this tune with the recording, Lynyrd Skynyrd plays the full verse for an intro, but cuts the instrumental verse short after the first vocal verse.  Monami played it that way, but we would always change the length of the guitar solo towards the end.  Big Whiskey cuts the intro AND the instr verse short, and ETA doesn't cut either one short.  I like playing this song, and no one on the audience will care, but I just have to focus and remember which is which!

Runaround Sue C - This was the 1st time I played it in the right key.

The Twist E - Easy to play but so much fun - they really got the audience into it.  I wish I'd videoed Travis demonstrating the twist.

You May Be Right A

Wild Night Em (G)

Folsom Prison E

Some Kind o’ Wonderful D

Pretty Woman E

KEY

Set 3:

Long Train Em - skipped

Bad Case E

Mustang C - they added some really cool hits that I got after a while

Cocaine E - skipped

Jenny F#m?

Roadhouse/Highway 61 E  Played Roadhouse, and again, they really got the audience into it especially on "Woke up this mornin and I got myself a beer!"

Sweet Home Alabama G - Adam sang this, but was having guitar issues at first, so Kyle extended the intro.  I'm not sure how he got through this, since he had dancers surrounding him.

A Way to Say Goodbye*** E

Feelin/YCAG/Witch C - skipped

Also played Old Time Rock & Roll and You Shook Me All Night Long














No comments: