Saturday, November 29, 2008

ODD TIME

Facebook is great. Some discussions in my PROG-ROCK group have made me start thinking. People want to know things like , what's my favorite group? what's my favorite epic tune? what's my favorite odd-time piece? I need to go through my itunes songs.... Here's a start of a list:

Alan Parson's Project - "The Turn Of A Friendly Card (The Ace Of Swords)" - 7/4
I don't really think of them as prog-rock, but sometimes it works, I guess. They were just too mellow, or pop-oriented, or just something about them.

Christopher Squire -"Silently Falling" - lots of 7/4
This song is PROG-ROCK at its best. Odd time, lots of orchestra parts, keyboard solo, great bass sound. Yeah.

Dream Theater -
"Erotomania" - Part A in 5/4, Part B alternating 11/8 & 10/8
Good, heavy instrumental. One could make an argument that they're playing in 21/8, but if I was writing out their part I'd alternate between 11/8 & 10/8. These time signatures don't sound forced at all, either.

"Learning to Live" - all over the place
LOTS of different time signatures!

Genesis -
"Dance on a Volcano" - 7/8, 7/4
"Battle of Epping Forest" - 7/4
"Cinema Show" - 7/8

Gentle Giant -
"Raconteur, Troubadour" - 11/8 (through the singing parts)

Jethro Tull -
"Sossity" - 8/8 (3+3+2)
Not technically odd time, but the guitar makes you think it's in a triple meter, when it really is not.
"Living in the Past" - 5/4

King Crimson
"Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Part 2" - Part A alt. 5/4 & 4/4, Part B 5/4

Rush -
"Freewill" - lots of odd time

This is a start - I need to work on some other stuff!

No comments: